Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Disciplining our children for His glory

Today I was able to Walk in the Spirit, I'd say 60% of the time...my goal is of course 100%....

So I am really working on loving my children and....disciplining them. I know they go hand in hand. I can't love without showing, teaching, and training them in the ways of God. I have to have a right relationship with God throughout my day, otherwise my teaching and training will be useless.

It says in Scripture that if I spare the rod, I actually am hating my child. I have heard a mother say, "I love my child too much to spank them." Yet scripture speaks clearly that the rod of correction drives our children far from hell. God's word is very clear about one thing in discipling our children. It is the rod.

My rod is a Paula Dean wooden spatula...(I'm living in the south so I figure that the tool I'm using for correction should be made up of some southern hospitality!!!) So anyway, it doesn't matter what you use I've been told, but how I use it. I have to ask myself, am I spanking effectively and biblically that will put a stop to having my children become separated from God???

Spanking has become so controversial in our nation today. Yet it is the very thing that God specifically talks about (several times in Proverbs) to discipline our children.

No comments: